From:
zoosferretsanctuary <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Jun 2010 22:06:23 -0500
There has been a lot of discussion lately about Sprout, and other
critically ill ferrets--and I would like to offer some ideas, since
this is our specialty :)

We are not vets here, but we have a huge amount of experience with
sick, debilitated, & terminal cases. If you would like to see an
example of what we do here, please go to our website
www.zoosferretsanctuary.org and click on "Stantz Riley & Goon".
The first picture of Stantz was taken at 8:00p.m. when the family
brought their remaining three ferrets to our sanctuary. They were
starving. (One had died the night before.) The second picture was
taken at 2:00 a.m. after fluids, a vitamin B complex injection,
carafate, and small syringe feedings of turkey baby food & Ensure
Plus, every 2 hours. We were at the vet`s office when she opened,
the next day! Bloodwork showed an ALT of 860.

Stantz continued to receive feedings every three hours around the clock
for four days. He got the vitamin B complex once daily for five days,
and warmed subQ fluids also. On the 4th day, Stantz began to nibble on
some kibble!!!

The third picture was Stantz, only 17 days later. (Stantz just had his
new blood panel done last month, and all of his blood values are normal
now!!)

We have dealt with ulcers, ECE, viruses, starved ferrets, blockages,
lymphoma, and some of the worst insulinoma crashes ever. In 2008, we
dealt with the most savage mystery illness that anyone in our circle
of ferret friends & shelters has experienced. When people can`t afford
the vet bills, or don`t want to deal with the problems, they dump their
ferrets at our sanctuary--and many are critically ill.

Here are some of the things that work for us.

Sub Q Fluids. So many sick ferrets have diarrhea, and ferrets become
dehydrated very quickly. Often a ferret`s eyes brighten within minutes
after fluids, and it may be willing to eat for you.

Carafate. If a ferret hasn`t been eating, it may have an ulcer. The
carafate coats the mouth, and all the way down, making eating less
painful. If eating isn`t painful, the ferret may be more willing to
accept food. The word out there is to give 1/2 hour before feeding, but
we give it 10-15 minutes before feeding. A ferret`s digestive system is
very quick, so the carafate won`t stay around for long. We have seen
carafate firm up loose stools--and have successfully used it to stop
bleeds.

Warmed turkey baby food with a small amount of vanilla Ensure Plus
(Walmart`s Equate brand works too) Nutren works also. The turkey
baby food is gentle on the tummy, and the Ensure Plus makes it more
palatable to them. We want them to eat. We have heard it said that
Ensure contains too much sugar, but if a ferret is starved, its blood
glucose is (usually) already low. We have heard it said that Ensure
was formulated for omnivores. (True--but it WORKS!!!) We use the plus
variety for weight gain. This is NOT suitable as a lifetime diet. We
give this only to ferrets in peril. When the crisis has passed, we
remove the Ensure Plus from the mix. If you have never syringe-fed a
ferret before, please learn from a vet, a vet tech, shelter mom/dad, or
ferret-knowledgeable person. Learn how to do it right. Your ferret's
very life may depend upon this.

B complex injections. One of our vets suggested this, years ago. it
seems to help them utilize every scrap of nutrient you can get into
them. It relieves stress. A sick ferret is a stressed ferret. One
ferret vet told us she had used B complex in cats with kidney failure.
(If a ferret is extremely dehydrated for a period of time, the kidneys
can take a hit.) We do this for three to four days, then evaluate. If
anyone is interested, we`ll give you the NDC of the stuff we use, and
the dosage.

Famotidine. We use the crushed tablets in water here--and also have the
injectable. This reduces stomach acid. (and the injectable really helps
the wretching vomiting ferrets who just can`t face anything given
orally.)

Opinions differ greatly about soup/gravy. My question to you is this:
The last time you were really, really sick, did you want a big 9 course
meal? Appetizers, soup, salad, a big hunk of meat, & a pile of mashed
potatoes & gravy? or turkey & stuffing, etc?? We feel that the sick
ferret doesn`t want a heavy meal either. We start light. Small meals,
every few hours. (and lots of kisses & snuggles!)

Again, we are not vets here--but these are things that have worked for
us.

Hope this helps someone out there.

Love,
Zoo