From:
Danee DeVore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Jun 2004 23:08:33 -0400
In yesterday's FML, Lisette wrote:
>The symposium coming up in St. Louis?  Perhaps those of you there would
>like to discuss or vote on definitions on the words that trip some
>people up.  They could become FML definitions of these words...voted
>on at the symposium,OR on the list?

While it is always a good idea in a discussion for people to make sure
they are using words to mean the same thing, I am not sure that making
up a set of definitions will really help.  There will always be new FML
members who will not be aware of the definitions, and also some long
time members who may forget what they are.

Also, different states or localities may define the words "shelter" and
"rescue" differently, and people will usually go by how the word is
defined in their area, rather then on some list.

It is generally better for people who are having a discussion to make an
effort to be clear, and explain what they mean with the words they are
using.

That said, the IFC is not a policy making organization, and would not
become involved in setting up definitions to be used on the FML even if
people decided that is what they wanted.  The official purpose of the
IFC can be viewed on our website, at:

       http://www.ferretcongress.org

However, at the Symposium in St. Louis, there will be a chance for
shelter and rescue personnel to get together and discuss issues important
to them.  On Friday evening, after the vet talks, there will be a pizza
party provided as a donation by the Hilton Hotel and hosted by Alicia
Drakiotes for people involved in sheltering.  The hope is that this will
give shelter operators a chance to network with each other, and share
their experiences and ideas.

People who are not involved in sheltering need not feel left out, though.
There will be other activities planned for them as well.  Of course, all
these activities are optional, and anyone wanting to do something on
their own will be free to do just that.

--
Danee
International Ferret Congress Health Issues Coordinator