From:
Alice Barrett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jan 2002 10:49:26 -0500
At age 4, Farrah had a partial pancreatectomy when insulinoma produced
drooling and debilitating tiredness but before any type of seizure.
Before surgery, we boosted her with insulinoma elixir, not drugs.  After
surgery she was immediately and totally free of symptoms and died 2 years
later after becoming jaundiced.

At 7, Farrah's sister, Phoebe, became insulinomic and relied on baby
chicken food for support until a partial pancreatectomy.  Two nights
after surgery we took her to an emergency clinic when we found her
unresponsive and gasping for air.  With oxygen, ferretvite, and a shot
of hydration, she survived and now, 3 months later is feeling well with
the help of prednisone.  Perhaps her age required this extra boost at an
early time.  Phoebe is now 7 1/2.

Timing of surgery and follow up differed for these two sisters, depending
on timing and display of symptoms.

With symptoms so evident during insulinoma, blood sugar testing on a
regular basis seemed redundent.  Timing can be difficult and getting blood
traumatic to ferrets.  Besides, our veterinarian didn't do surgery without
a biopsy of the pancreas first.

That's our story to provide any information that might be helpful.  Good
luck to everyone managing insulinoma.

Alice
Fannie Bright
Pheobe