From:
Mary Conley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Jan 2003 22:20:10 EST
>How big should the box be?  How do you go about making one?  If ferrets
>like it, I want to give them one, but I don't seem to be able to picture
>what this should look like.  Are the side high or low.  Can they tunnel
>in it, or is it like a litter box with low sides.  Should it have a top
>on it?  How do you keep the beans in?

Hi Shelley ~

Since both Calvin and Jazzy love to climb, I took a cardboard file box,
about 22" x 16" and 12" high.  I did not cut down any of the sides.  It
has holes in the side to lift it up and they love that too.  The problem
will be filling it up.  It will cost you to get many beans, which is why
I used a smaller file box.  The cardboard is very heavy and holds their
climb well.  I waited until our grocery put red beans up for sale.  There
are also warehouses that you can go to that sell them in 5 lb.  bags
(which I think is cheaper).  In the end I think I have about 8 pounds of
beans in it.  They can tunnel in it and yet it does not take up a lot of
room in the office.  When they are done, the top goes back on and it is
stacked out of the way.  They play in it either with the top on, or off.
Sometimes if I hear a lot of crashing around I take the top off to make
sure all is well.  They even know it's called the "bean box" now, and
when I ask if they want it out they fly over to it.  It's kept them busy
for a few months now.

Warmly ~
Mary

Jazz ~ Woohoo it's da beanies again....Calvin....hehe I'm gonna hide.

Calvin ~ <grumbling> Food...find me da food first Jazzies!
Herbalist
The Conley Farm - organic herbs
Online Classes ~ [log in to unmask]