Date:
Tue, 12 Jul 2011 20:36:21 -0700
Hi Juna, This is a great topic that you brought up. Now that I have a
daughter who is of an age where we are going to different zoo's, farms,
museums... I have found the same thing. Ferrets at "farms" - yes where
it is also 90 degree weather, in museums - eating cut up pieces of
apples, and at some zoos too. I inquired at each of the places where I
saw the ferrets - that they can suffer from heat stroke, that they are
not barn animals, that they are carnivores who do not eat fruit, that
they need out of cage time and human interaction... I don't understand
how these places can showcase these ferrets, claiming that they are
educating the public about them, when in fact they really are not? When
I have called or spoken to a manager to complain, they claim they know
ferrets and what is right and not right for them. To me, this is the
equivalent of seeing a dog or cat caged at a museum or farm. Its not
right, especially when they are giving the public incorrect info about
them. If you call your SPCA or something, they are mainly concerned
with if they have food, water, shelter...etc, the basics. They aren't
actually breaking any laws. I just continue to voice my concerns to
management. Anyone have any other suggestions on what else to do?

Andrea