From:
Steven Markowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Apr 1998 23:08:17 -0500
>From:    Paula Bryder <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Insulinoma Help

Paula -

Our ferret Lillith recently died from insulinoma.  She was diagnosed 2
years ago.  There are two ways you can go with a ferret with insulinoma.

Either you can have the pancreatic surgery done and then go on a course of
meds and diet changes.  Our you can skip the surgery and try to control it
with meds and diet.  We chose to skip the surgery.  Since the surgery is not
a cure and the symptoms seem to come back anywhere from 1 month to 1 year
later, we didn't see the sense.  I know other's will argue against this and
its their choice.  (for those of you thinking about it, read as, I've heard
it already and will not respond to anyone who chooses to flame me for my
decision)

I urge you to download the Insulinoma FAQ from either the FML's database or
from the Ferret Central home page.  It has some very usefull information.

Also, consider starting the ferret on the Insulinoma Elixir.  We used it
with Lillith and did not have to put her on any meds (bad side effects from
steroids and such) for almost a year.  Depending on how fast the tumors grow
your friend could have a couple more very good years with her ferret.

It was not until the last couple of months that Lillith really showed
deterioration in her abilities.  For most of the 2 years she was as ferrety
as can be.

If you can't find a copy of the Elixir recipe, I'll be happy to forward you
a copy that we modified to suit our needs.

Take care,

Steven