From:
Pam Grant and STAR* Ferrets <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Apr 1995 18:13:56 -0400
I just have to share the most uplifting story wit you all.

Remember a week or two ago the FML was discussing spleens?  Well, I mentioned
that Red Dog had just turned 8 years old and that I was torn about having his
enlarged spleen removed due to his age, but he was looking like he was going
to explode if I DIDN'T do something.

Well, we took x-rays, and the heart was normal and the lungs were clear, and
there did not appear to be any fluid buildup.  Dog went under the knife this
morning.  Dr. Hart found a normal sized spleen - but attached to it was a
tumor the size of a tennis ball!

On top of this, the tumor had an abcess which would have opened sooner or
later, and Dog most assuridly would have died from that.  Dog also had a
necrotic looking lymph node, which was also removed.

Red Dog is home now, looking well, standing, has cleaned himself up very
well, and was munching contently in the food dish when I left him.  He was 4
pounds going into surgery, and is now relieved of 3/4 of a pound.

All I can say, is if the ferret looks like it can withstand surgery, when in
doubt, go for it.  The saddest thing that could have happened was that Dog
would not have awakened after surgery, and in that case, he would have gone
very peacefully, not knowing there was anything wrong.  The worst thing would
have been for that tumor to rupture and Dog to bleed internally to death -
there would have been no way to stop that.

Bruce, I have a sample of the tumor and the lymph node for you when I see you
in May.  I'm just so happy that Dog came through so well!  He may only be
around another 6 months (or another 2 years), but he will be happier until he
does choose to leave here.

I just wanted to share the happiness I feel; things have not been going very
smoothly around here lately and I need this pick-me-up.

Pam and her Pet Pals