From:
Date:
Thu, 12 Feb 1998 08:04:34 -0800
>From:    Edward Lipinski <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: FerretFrolic/Olympics Activities in Seattle twice yearly.

You've been bashing ferret shows for quite a while now.  Why?

>Some feel that with a little effort and some common sense in organizing
>dispayable ferret events, that such promotion of the ferret by its BEHAVIOR
>in a public place (no admission charges) gives to the public a realistic
>view of the ferret (in its interaction with the environment and its owner)
>which wouldn't be as clearly evident in the closed, indoor, formal
>atmosphere of the classical pet show.

>Please understand that by clarifying the differences in public perception
>of the ferret in the two different venues of the public park, out-of-doors,
>and the indoor, attendance-controlled room of a pet show, the average person
>may get a greater appreciation of the active, free-running ferret than he'd
>get by watching pet show judges stroke, stretch, palpatate and prod those
>wonderful blue-ribboned champions.

As far as I know you've been to one show ever.  And that was not typical.

Ferret shows charge admission as they are intended as fund raisers.  Either
for shelters (the Baltimore and SOS shows) or organizations that in turn
help support shelters and other equally important ferrets activities.  The
AFA is perhaps among the most important lobbying groups for ferrets.
Without te funds raised at shows they'd have to curtail those efforts.

The admissions fees are nominal compared to other "sporting events" (why dog
and horse shows are sporting events I don't know but if they are so are
ferret shows).  Have admissions like this also permits controlling who
attends.  This is important in restricting ferrets brought in to those that
are well.  Ferret shows in the past have been sources of disease spreading.
It is important we keep up the efforts all groups have made to continue to
prevent recurrences.

Unfortunately ferret shows are not immune to people with warped senses of
values.  There have been folks that have done such idiotic things about
making ferret shows places to carry out political assaults.  So far they
have had limitted success but controlled admissions will help prevent more
instances.  Some of the extremist animal rights groups need to be controlled
if they chose to protest at ferret shows.

Limitted admissions also are used to prevent unscrupulous breeders from
selling ill ferrets or ferrets that are deemed too young (8 weeks is too
young)

What you are proposing is basically that we continue with what we call
ferret fun matches.  Fine.  We've been doing this all along.  Many of the
"formal shows" as you label them have always done this in the midst of the
championship show.  Both are useful and fun.  Don't bash one in favor of the
other.  We on the East coast don't.

>Each venue has its place and its adherents, although most would agree
>that having a pet show is like preaching to the choir, compared to having
>a Ferret Frolics/Olympics.

No, we disagree.  It is easier to get the local news folk to attend the
championship shows than the fun matches.  I doubt you'll find "most"
agreeing with that.  Its just the way it is.

>The latter, by its very nature is wide open, unrestricted, and just a
>little bit more interesing than looking at ferrets in cages (most of which
>are forbidden to be touched by anyone except the owner/handler and judge(s).

Disease control and protection of ferrets from bite incidents is far more
important than you allow.

>There are also other reasons why I prefer the action of the Olympics
>compared to the pet show, but let me put those aside for the time being,
>hopefully without prejudice from the reader.  My hope is that I stimulate
>no ire from anyone.  (Hard to do when one expresses a ferverent opinion.)

This response is not out of anger.  It is intended to express our opinion as
to why we strongly disagree with your bashing one type of event in favor of
the other.

Championship ferret shows with trained and licensed judges elevate ferrets
to the level of dogs and cats.  Fun matches can elevate ferrets to the level
of dogs in trials.  Both are good.

It is entirely possible to talk up one form of show without denigrating the
other.  There is no need to put one in front of the other.  Lets continue to
do both.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/