From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Apr 2001 18:35:39 -0400
Well, we already knew that Cheney had referred to BFFs as "vermin" and I
doubt that anyone really expected them to cope well if the Bush team got
in, but it turns out that there is a second punch beyond the budget one (my
last letter) that targets complete removal of funding ofr a program that
has helped them.  This one comes from Bush appointee to the Smithsonian:
banker Lawrence Small.  He has announced that he will shut down
conservation efforts by the Smithsonian, including the Conservation and
Research Center near Fort Royal, VA.

If you want to see more about this second attack against Black Footed
Ferrets: http://www.nytimes.com/2001/04/17/science/17SMIT.html .

Apparently (Learned elsewhere.), there was a recent poll which indicated
that most U.S.  voters do not care if they have clean water, or clean air,
or if endangered species like the BFFs are saved, or... True?  I hope not.
Guess we'll know IF we see enough people screaming at the White House and
at their legislators and voting against such behavior.  Meanwhile, the
political trend to undermine such things continues...

Hey, "old" folks like me: remember the days when rivers would set on fire
(at times for days or weeks) from flammable pollution, creeks would flow
bright red, air was practically chunky sometimes and some of the stuff in
it would even damage house paint, etc.  etc.  etc.?  Remember how many died
from just trying to breathe, and how industrial places didn't worry about
what they put into the ground water because no one could do anything to
them, anyway?