From:
Rebecca Stout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Jan 2006 11:59:34 EST
Hi all,
Last Friday, Sean got a new honey bunny.  Before I tell you about him,
I'll briefly tell you what led up to his addition to our family.

I only told close friends at the time, but Sean fell into a deep
depression out of the blue last week.  He fell like a rock.  It came
out of nowhere.  And it was scary.  This wasn't a typical episode of
childhood blues, and it didn't look like grief.  He kept saying it wasn't
because of Rocky, but he had no idea why it was going on or what to do.
He stayed in his room, most of each day.  He rarely spoke, and I was
about to take him to his doctor.  Eventually, I was able to "make" him go
out with his older teenage brother and his wild friends as odd as that
sounds.  I was trying everything.  One late night, finally, I heard him
outside playing hide and seek with the guys and heard him just laughing
and laughing.  It was eleven at night.  We have elderly neighbors.  It
was inappropriate that children were running around in the middle of the
night, let alone carrying on so loud.  I didn't give a sh*t.  I laid in
bed with a huge smile on my face and let them be.  He seemed a bit better
the next day, then he obsessively asked when he was going to get a new
ferret.  Was he naked with out his therapy animal all that time, I
wonder????  Hmm.

So we began making arrangements to visit Julianna's shelter, and I was
trying to educate Sean about options, pet stores, the whole gamete.  It
seemed that he had his heart set to do everything opposite of Rocky this
time -- Pet store.  Tiny baby.  White.  Rowdy.  The whole nine yards.
I'm sure it was completely unconscious, but ... there you have it.  So
on the way home from all the pet stores we visited, he whined that he
wanted "Snowflake".  A "snow who"?  What the heck?!  He never said
anything in any of the stores.  He begged and begged.  I took him home
so he could think about it.  He begged more.  Scott told me to go get
this "Snowflake" person (yes we sometimes refer to our ferrets as people
here, lol).

He seem's to be about 8 weeks old, but that is just a rough estimate for
now.  He is not a black eyed white, but a dark eyed white.  His pupils
are dark garnet-brick red, and his iris's are actually blue in the
sunlight.  From a distance they look light black.  He is unusual in
temperament for a kit, very unusual.  When Sean held him in the pet
store, he could not keep spinning in his arms nor contain himself from
licking Sean's face.  He was uncontrollable but very, very gentle.  I
thought of the name Tori for White Tornado.  But the chaos we brought
home, flipped on us immediately and turned into a calm mush.  Between
the personality changes, and some odd feelings from his brother who
once had a "Snowball" in the past ... Snowflake was dropped from the
choices of names.  We've agonized over names.  We so wanted something
that meant winter or snow for a new beginning and for the season and
for his coloration.  But Sean didn't like the many choices even in
other languages.  Finally he found the name Pharos.  This was an ancient
Greek island that had huge tower which kept a light/fire burning as a
beacon ... sort of like one of the first lighthouses.  It was a guiding
light.  Ever since then that word has meant something to that extent (in
our language).  It doesn't roll off the lips.  This lovey keeps changing
personalities.  But this is Sean's choice for a name it seems.

How is this ferret's personality different?  Okay well, he isn't as wild
as most kits.  But of course he dashes around and plays like normal when
he is awake.  But even at his most hyper state, as soon as you pick him
up, his whole body relaxes and he sits in your lap.  He falls asleep in
your hands almost immediately when you love on him.  He licks your whole
face ...and is a people "person".  Put him on the floor though, and off
he goes.  He does lay around an awful lot for a kit, which has my eyebrow
raised for now.

Sean is acting like a normal teenager who has a beloved pet now.  Nothing
like with Rocky.  This is alien to me.  And I think I'm taking it harder
than I should (leaving the Sean and Rocky phase of life).  Sean helps
unknowingly though.  He still walks around and sings "Rocky Racoon ...
alone in the room ..." (the old Beatles song).  This makes things feel
more natural to me.  :)  It's very exciting to see him in love again, as
well as staying in love with Rocky's memory so healthfully.

I have a silly cell phone pic of them ... it was the very first pic.
It's horrible.  Robin Jones is going to grab this silly camera phone some
day so I don't keep using it and being lazy by not always using my real
camera.  But hey, moments are moments.  They don't freeze just for me to
run, get my camera and focus.  I have better photos, but it takes me a
while to find time to process the RAW's, etc.

http://pictures.sprintpcs.com/share.do?invite=tErr4nmu7PhV4h37h0YL&shareNa
me=MMS

ps, can't help it.  Shot of my beefcake husband with baby:
http://pictures.sprintpcs.com/share.do?invite=3E8r4omh7PalP5iLhaJL&shareNa
me=MMS

Wolfy

http://wolfysluv.jacksnet.com/