From:
Jackie Hawley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Jul 1998 23:50:32 -0700
Hello Fellow FMLers,

I've copied a letter below to the FML from someone wishing to remain
anonymous.  We do need to acknowledge the extraordinary dedication of our
fellow ferret lovers.

Jackie

 TO:   FML
 RE:   **Northeast Florida Branch** / South Florida Ferret Club & Rescue

Although it was good to read the recent post in which the Woodell/Drysdale
family thanked the "local ferret rescue people" who provided critical
hands-on care for "Meiko", the ferret with the carrot-induced problem; it
is somewhat disheartening to have these knowledgeable and dedicated ferret
rescuers continue to remain anonymous.

Each shelter relies heavily on *community awareness* in order to be able
to *recruit* volunteers, *educate* the public, *network* with new and
prospective ferret families to find responsible, loving, long-term homes
for the shelter kids and, just as importantly, *secure financial support*
for the seemingly endless list of shelter needs.

When we find *helpful* and *experienced* ferret people who generously give
of themselves on behalf of the ferrets, they *deserve recognition*...not
anonymity...from those who have benefited from their assistance.

By naming these shelters and their volunteers, we further spread the word
to others that there are people in their immediate area who they can turn
to should a ferret crisis arise within their own family.  This is a *good*
thing....not something to be kept hidden from others!

Thus, I believe it's vital that the "unnamed" ferret rescue people be
publicly acknowledged for their good deeds (even though that's NOT the
reason they do what they do).  This was not some unknown "Jacksonville
rescue group" but a well-respected branch of one of the largest and oldest
rescues within the State of Florida--which was only temporarily residing
in Jacksonville (with 70+ shelter and personal animals--ferrets, dogs,
cats, birds, etc.), over 50 miles from home due to the fact they had to
**evacuate** for over a week due to two raging wildfires fast approaching
the shelter.

In ending, many FMLers may not be familiar with this ferret shelter--as they
are NOT on line.  (FYI: Their main Miami facility does have an extensive and
informative website at http://www.miamiferret.org.  Those involved in this
remarkable display of *dedication* and *teamwork* on behalf of "Meiko" and
countless Florida ferrets are:

 Northeast Florida Branch/South Florida Ferret Club & Rescue

 Barbara Ludt, Branch Shelter Mom

 Plashette Cassarella, Volunteer Extraordinaire

 John Rossi, DVM (Jacksonville, FL)

  and

 Debbie Kemmerer, DVM (Gainesville, FL)

Please remember to *support* and *thank* your local ferret shelter(s)
whenever possible.  They are there for you and your ferrets....

Anonymous -- D. Fender of Ferret Shelters