From:
pats7288 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jun 2010 10:25:35 -0400
Hi FML folks-

My older ferret, Yuki, who is almost 5 has really bad diarrhea. It
is not green or slimy. It is just loose and almost looks like watery
oatmeal. Took him to the vets late Monday afternoon. He is now on Amoxy
and flagyl. He is still not eating much but is now, today, drinking on
his own. His recovery has been very slow and he is pretty miserable.
Yuki is one of those ferrets who does not have a normal tail. We
adopted him from a shelter 3 years ago. His tail was either broken and
never set or he was born with a curled up tail. The tail is making his
discomfort and sore bottom worse than it would be for a ferret with a
normal tail. His tail is very sore as well as his bottom. Vet gave me
a powder to use but when I put it on, Yuki tries to lick it off. Does
anyone have any suggestions or has encountered this before?

Also the vet has recommended that we have the tail amputated since it
is not used and is often irritated by feces. Yuki can't lift his tail.
Has anyone had this operation on their ferrets? Can you share your
experiences?

Please reply to [log in to unmask]

Thank you everyone!

Pat Shaskin