From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Oct 2007 12:49:48 -0400
Older info (such as the Q10 info):
and open
Disease Specific Files
for a compilation

For FML Archives (which contain Q10 info and E info):

For over 6 and 1/2 years of FHL posts:
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/

For an assortment of on-line resources including many vets' write-ups:
(Forgive the very large font; I did that update during a time when my
eyes were kicking up more than usual.)

Be SURE to see the other cardiomyopathy reply I sent today because
there are medicines which are not mentioned in your note but are
IMPORTANT for ferret with cardiomyopathy.

Also, be absolutely sure to separate when Carafate is given enough in
time from other meds. For some meds like Digoxin given to the same
animal who is getting Carafate DO consult with a pharmacist first.
Use the FHL Links
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/ferrethealth/links
to find places where you can read up on these meds, on herbs, on
supplements, and on the interactions (some of which are NOT desired)
between specific herbs or supplements and specific medications.
 ---
New Topic:
Ireann wrote:
>First, I would like to state I highly disagree with this term. Just
>because the symptoms have disappeared does not mean that the cancer
>has been cured.

Multiple ones of us here (including us) HAVE had ferrets cured by
surgery of insulinoma who went on to have a great many years of life
free of it afterward, and no less an authority than Dr. Bruce Williams
who is one of the world's foremost ferret veterinary pathology experts
says that it can happen. In fact, he has written -- from careful
research -- that when the surgery is done early enough and the surgeon
is good enough a high percentage may be cured. I do not know if current
figures are the same, but certainly since it HAS been a curative
approach it can again be a curative approach. See:
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/YG8153
and
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/YG6502
and
http://www.afip.org/ferrets/PDF/insulinoma.pdf

Recurrence in the same organ is NOT the hallmark of a malignancy,
BTW. That can be cause by a shared trigger. Appearance of the SAME
anaplastic tissue in a DISTANT organ indicates malignancy, though.

Pancreatic disease in the ferret is USUALLY insulinoma, NOT carcinoma.
When carcinoma happens in a ferret's pancreas the onset of symptoms can
be sudden (as can also happen with lymphoma based there) and may be
deadly when first presenting. Carcinoma of the pancreas is typically
fatal in fewer than 3 months.

Adrenal growths are usually neoplasia but not malignant (but still need
treatment for quality of life and to avoid some fatal complications).
When carcinoma occurs in ferret adrenals it typically does NOT spread
for some unknown reason as long as timely surgery is done, and is often
nicely encapsulated. See my info from Dr. Williams in the 10/17 FML to
read about these more. Given his expertise as one of the premier
veterinary pathologists who has been studying these for over a decade
I strongly urge that ALL READ:
http://www.afip.org/ferrets/PDF/neoplasia.pdf
"Answers about Cancers:  on the Nature of Neoplasms"

Sukie (not a vet)

Recommended ferret health links: