From:
Matthew Ardill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Feb 1999 08:02:11 -0500
>...It's Cat's Pride and comes in two 'flavors'.
>Flavor 1:
>Dust Stopper -- This is a standard none clumping litter.  It has the
>texture and size of a standard clay little, with no dust at all.  It has
>little green bits in it, bag says it has Anti-Bacterial Order Control,
>don't know if this is the little green bits or not.  It smells kind of
>sweet and perfumy.
>
>... put it all in one of the cat boxes with some clumping clay litter.
>Cat using it, but one of my cats now has a sneeze.  No sign of a cold or
>any other health problem, wondering if it is the perfume order that is
>making him sneeze.  Will be removing the little over the weekend to see
>if the sneeze clears up...

don't use it.  it is almost certainly the perfume that is making them
sneeze.  perfumed litter is *BAD* stuff.  very unhealthy.  most animals are
allergic to the perfumes, and get really sneezy from them.  this weakens
their respiratory systems and makes them more susceptible to infections
and asthma.  since ferrets are more scent oriented than most animals it is
particualarly bad for them, as it makes it hard for them to use their most
important sense, their sense of smell.

the pet valu near my house has cat litter labelled "extra scent" which me
and my fiance joke about as kitty killer litter.  but they also have
"yesterday's news" cat litter which is a completely perfume and dust free
cat litter.  there are pet valu stores almost everywhere so if you want to
get your hands on a really good recycled newspaper litter, look them up in
the phone book.  (price here is $5.99 canadian for 15 pounds)

siani  (who is also owned by an asthmatic cat with *really* bad perfume
allergies, and who has them herself.)