From:
"Craig W. Lovell" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Nov 1997 03:55:05 -0700
Sam went in for exploratory surgery, on Friday (10/31).  He's doing OK,
considering what the surgeon removed.  They removed a spleen almost the size
of my fist, and an adrenal the size of my pinkie fingernail.  They also
removed a tissue sample from the liver, and an enlarged lymph node (also
about the size of my pinkie fingernail).  I should find out the tissue
results sometime next week.

He really looks bad; all of the bruising around his incision.  But, he
insisted on staggering around, so he could do his business.  The only
problem I'm having, is getting the amoxicillin in him.  He absolutely HATES
the stuff!  I've tried forcing it, but I end up with more on him, than in
him.  Mixing it with treats isn't working, either.  Anyone have any
suggestions?

My other fuzzie, Fuzz, is quite unhappy about the sleeping arrangements.  I
guess she's used to Sam using her for a pillow!  Sam is in the pet carrier,
for the duration.  I let the two interact this morning, for a little bit;
Fuzz wants to see what's going on.  It was kind of funny: Fuzz is checking
Sam out, and she visibly jerked when she got to the vast expanse of Sam's
shaved stomach.

The vet was quite impressed (and pleased) that Sam is doing OK.  I think Sam
is the oldest ferret he's ever done a splenectomy/adrenalectomy on (~8 years
old).  I'm also happy; all day Friday, my guts were in a knot, waiting to
hear from the vet.

I guess that's all for now.....

Craig