From:
Regina Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Nov 1996 12:15:36 -0500
This is mostly for Marie Schatz-- I emailed you yesterday at your own
address, but you said you hadn't received any mail, so maybe I had the
address wrong.

I went through a blockage experience with Amelia last spring.  Nothing at
all showed up on the x-rays, and my vet didn't think that barium would be
all that worthwhile (and several FML folks concurred).  Amelia was fading so
quickly that exploratory surgery was her last chance.  Lo and behold, she
was totally plugged up by a felt circle about 1cm in diameter.  Of course
it's completely up to you and your vet, but IMO if all the symptoms of
blockage are there, and since it's such a common problem with ferrets,
exploratory surgery is a good option.  I might be biased because that's what
absolutely saved Amelia's life, but I also know how frustrating "wait and
see" can be.  You do need to rule out other possibilities, but
unfortunately, the things that ferrets like to eat aren't the sorts of
things that show up on x-rays.  Amelia's x-rays didn't even show gas
bubbles.  Whatever the cause of Gisela's upset is, I hope you can get it
resolved soon.  Best wishes and crossed paws, Regina, Amelia, and Cully

Regina Harrison
PhD Student, Anthropology
Joint Co-ordinator, AGSEM-- McGill's TA union
McGill University
Montreal, Quebec
"If that's all there is, my friends, then let's keep dancing" --Peggie Lee