From:
"Bill Gruber, FML moderator" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Feb 2001 01:50:26 EST
We've had a couple of somewhat nasty anonymous posts recently.  One of
these might even have been partially responsible for Dr. Williams'
decision to stop reading the FML.

In view of these, many people have written to me suggesting that anonymous
posts should not be allowed on the FML -- that they cause a lot of trouble
for only questionable gains.

Here's how I feel about it:

I'm not against tightening up the standards some.  In fact, believe it or
not, that gradually has been done.  Firstly, anonymous posters must be
subscribers in all but the most unusual circumstances.  Further, there
should be a good reason to post anonymously -- I decide them on a
case-by-case basis and sometimes decide they simply are not warranted.
For example, they should not be used to "hide behind" just to express an
unpopular opinion.

In the case of the anonymous ADV post, there were a couple of good
reasons why this long-time subscriber posted anonymously.  These
reasons are private, and I felt they were valid.  Unfortunately, the
message wasn't too well phrased and may very well have had a hostile
intent.  The solution isn't to disallow the anonymous part but to
ask the poster to rephrase it.  The post, however, was pretty absurd.
FMLers responded quite well and the post was forwarded to Sam for comment
*before* the post appeared.  If anyone should be upset, it would be
Sam, and she responded quite calmly and factually.  I sense a bit more
hostility in some of the other responses!

Anyhow, I feel anonymous posts are necessary for a couple of reasons.
Foremost, to give people the opportunity to post about potentially
embarrassing situations without fear of identification.  Then there
are occasional posts by 1) people in ferret-free zones, 2) people
of "celebrity" status who only occasionally post, 3) people who,
for other reasons, need to maintain confidentiality such as those
posting from work or those who would rather not let their ex-spouses
know their new e-mail addresses!

Do keep in mind that I do know the posters, and I know how to reach them
should it be necessary to get clarifications or to let others forward
comments directly to the poster.  (You must act quickly though -- after
a couple of weeks I erase the address of the poster so there is no
permanent record.  And chances are I won't remember who posted what
after that.)

Some suggested that a semi-anonymous address, like a free "hotmail" or
"yahoo" address would be a better way to post anonymously.  I disagree.
Those addresses can come and go instantly and are not as anonymous as
some would think.  I would much rather have a semi-permanent e-mail
address to refer to.

Anyhow, there you have it.  Doesn't mean I'm not listening to you.  I am,
and I appreciate all your comments.  I will attempt to be a little more
strict in "drawing the line."  By listening, and by all of us being a
little more conscious of the feelings of others, I hope the FML will
continue to evolve into a more and more useful forum.

Bill