From:
SukieCrandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Feb 2002 12:48:44 -0500
>From what I have read, ADV has no treatment and no cure.  If my ferrets
>do not come in contact with other ferrets, why would I spend the time and
>money to have them tested?  (and then retested?) If the test results are
>positive, what have I accomplished other than to find another thing to
>worry over?

Do you come in contact with other ferrets or ferret owners?  Do you play
with baby ferrets at the petstore?  Do you go to the veterinarian?  Can
you say for certain that the clerk bagging your groceries does not have a
ferret that may be positive?

Testing is for two reasons - if your ferrets are negative (and I hope
that they are), you know to take precautions to avoid potential exposure.
You need to keep testing at least annually in order to be sure those
precautions have been effective.  If your ferrets are positive, then you
know to watch them for signs of illness - the illness cannot be cured, but
it can be treated in many cases to keep the ferret comfortable.  You know
to warn your veterinarian that your ferrets have the disease so that he or
she can take extra precautions to avoid exposing other ferrets.  You know
*not* to play with those oh-so-cute ferret kits, so that they are not
exposed.  There are other reasons, but for me, that is plenty.

Dr. Ruth
Save lives - spay or neuter your pet.