From:
Juliana Quadrozzi - GA Domestic Ferret Association <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jan 1997 20:52:32 -0500
>From:    AlphaChi <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: A personal addendum to Julianna's advice for Bobby and Jane [about
>giving medicine to unwilling weasels]

No offense taken.  We're all here to learn from each other.  I guess I
should be more careful.  I assume it to be understood that liquids should
not be forced down any creatures' throat & that the mouth should not be
wrenched tightly closed.

I only put a little at a time into the cheek outside the molars, not past
them & down the throat.  Also, if they want to take out their frustrations
on the tip of the syringe, be my guest.  I find the gums get banged up much
less this way, than going in through the front, when dealing w/wiggle worms.
It also prevents the meds from being flicked out of the frits mouth by the
tip of their tongue.  The trick is to end the ordeal w/the yummy stuff
that's been sucked into the syringe 1st!

>From: Brian Bledsoe <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Ferret Temperature
>Is there any other way to check a ferts temp other than a rectal
>thermometer?  Perhaps one of the new ear thermometers for people.

My vet told me ear thermometers aren't accurate in ferrets because of the
difference in their ear canal.  If there are other opinions from any of our
vet friends out there I sure would appreciate hearing them.

I use the digital rectal thermometer.  It's very sanitary because you cover
the insertion end w/a little plastic *condom* ;) & it's very fast & easy to
read.

>From:    Tanya M Vestal <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: bad breath

NOTE: I'm not a vet & my recall isn't great - this is what I *remember* from
my vet.

"Laser breath" does need to have his grody green teeth (& the rest of them
too) professionally cleaned.  The green gook is tartar & bacteria which,
just like in hoomans, causes periodontal (sp?) gum disease & tooth loss.  It
could lead to something more serious like infections that can spread into
their entire system.

Your vet will clean & then polish the teeth to smooth out the rough surface
which collects & promotes the problem.  He'll probably have to take
antibiotics to fight off any infection that may have been released into his
system as a result of the cleaning.

In the end, you'll not only be contributing to his good health, but you'll
be able to *make out* w/you little lover again!

>From:    "pml @hotmail.com" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Adoption "fee" [Responsibility]

Thank you for your post yesterday.  Very well said.  I wish more young
adults like you were contacting me about their ferrets instead of wanting to
get rid of them because they've lost interest in their too-easy-to-get-pet.

Juliana
Frodo, Rocks, Anola Gay, SNAFU, FUBAR, Tabu, Chaos & Tuxedo