From:
Cynthia ritenour <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Dec 2011 12:47:26 -0500
Some of you may remember this from about 3 years past, but it is still
a good story, and Hamilton now makes it a tradition....

For those who are on this mailing for the first time, no I'm not
decorating with items found in the deli, I recently adopted three new
babies from a Ferret Rescue called the Ferret Inn. (Though deli meat
would be interesting.... I wonder if you could make cheese elves or
roast beef Poinsettias? Hmmm........)  Ham and Cheese are two very
rambunctious big boys that though large, still have to grow into their
paws and ears. Little Dora is a sweetheart, three year old. All three
are what is called champagne in color. (Kinda cinnamony in color.) They
are all people ferrets and love to be snuggled, but only after rounds
and a bit of barge and tustle.

Daddy Russell brought all the boxes and crates of Christmas decorations
up from the basement, as he knows it's one of my most favorite things,
to decorate for Christmas. It is usually something I do alone, everyone
else is busy with other things. Not this year.........Being ferrets,
Ham, Cheese and Dora could not resist checking out the many boxes.

As I unpacked the nativity scene, Ham inspected the pieces still in the
box. They were each snuggled in their own.... plastic...irresistible...
bag and tucked into the large form fitted foam box. But..... the
bags.......I hurriedly unwrapped each piece sometimes wresting them
from a very intent weasel who wanted to drag the bag somewhere to
chew. This is a no no, as it could cause a very uncomfortable blockage.
Unwrap one piece, set on counter. Chase ferret with plastic bag. unwrap
another , set on counter, grab ferret from on top of box dragging the
King with incense toward his hidey hole. Wrestle the end of Kings bag
out of furry mouth that insists it is his and he's not giving it up.
Unwrap King, set on counter. You get the picture. we went through each
peice this way, Ham inspecting and choosing each bag with care, No
matter that some of the peices that were in the bags were close to his
size. Ham is usually the quieter of the boys, unles there's plastic
involved. Thankfully, the other boxes were tall enough that the boys
couldn't get into them for inspection. I don't think I could have
stood it.....

I hace two large felt elves that stand near the door. They are about
the size of a three year old. Ham and Cheese kept going to them and
climbing up inside their shirts..I am umsure what the draw was, Maybe
the thought something wasn't quite right with these hoomins......

I picked up the only plastic bag when I realized that the boys were
out, only to find a Ham swinging from the bottom, as he had found it
first and was not giving up the prize. Little goof would not let go,
until I had to open his mouth with my fingers.... tricky......when
he decides something is his....

As I was taking each item out of the boxes, and wandering around the
house, Ham and Cheese were tagging along, to see what I was doing.
Occasionally as the times would allow, they would attack with flying
squirrels, (a furry spread eagle flight with mouth open to land on
someones' unsuspecting leg and have a gentle nip.) as if to say....
we're here..... Momma, don't forget.....When I put things on top
of their cages, they had to climb up and check it out....of course,
that meant that I had to put them back as they were knocked down by
the inevitable ferret reorganization effort. The whole time, there
was a litany of "Bup bup bup bup bup". I can only guess what they
were saying....

"What's dis Kissmiss stuff?"

"I dunno, Ham,  hey .... dees cin min  tings smell good!"

"Kin we eat 'em?"

"No, but dey might be tons o' fun to chase aroun' da room....."

"Quick, get one befo' da Momma sees ya!"

"Got one.....Lets go......"

"Wait minnit.... dis fuzzy t'ing....Momma says is stocking.....deys
nofininnit....."

"Hey Cheese....Where are you?"

"I foun' it first......back off"

"You can't get away wif dat!......."

And the wrestling begins......the battle of the big red stocking is
on.......It's never boring with ferrets! Of course, it did take me all
day to decorate, instead of half the day. In the end Dora snuggled on
my lap, and Ham and Cheese exhausted from their extreme decorating
expereince, passed out happily in their hammocks. Yes, life is good!

Cindy & the Slightly Used gang with Ham (Hamilton Theodore Ritenour)
and Cheese (Charles Xavier Cheesepuff Ritenour)