From:
Nell Angelo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jun 2010 15:51:27 +0300
Rico, my oldest and a very wonderful ferret died a few hours ago. I
knew his days were numbered, but of course was hoping for a larger
number. I am missing him a lot -- he's in a plastic bag in the
refrigerator -- sorry -- just a little grim defensive humor. I'm worn
out with crying. Dry eyes, dry mouth, dry brain. I am sure plenty of
you know those symptoms... Thank you, everyone who's helped me with
advice and suggestions for his care over the last years. He was a real
trouper and so much fun. I can't believe he is gone. I really just
can't absorb it.

Rico's been important for so long -- almost 7 years, I think. Some
of you might remember emails from me from California long ago,
despairing over his biting habits -- he seemed to do it just for
fun! He'd sneak up behind me, or just dash in, and give me a painful
blood-drawing bite -- usually a little above my Achilles tendon. When
I went to a clinic I had to make something up as to why I had all
those marks there -- remember that was a special problem becasue I
was in California.

In an answer, an FMLer more experienced than I gave me wonderful
perspective on it. She talked about how some of her favorite and most
memorable and beloved ferrets over the years had been her biters. Other
longtime FMLers chimed in, saying it had been the same for them.

This morning, Rico had a little fit, like a smaller one he had last
week, and I think there had been others in the past that I hadn't
recognized. This time it went further. At first, like last week, he was
unable to stand and kept moving his back legs back and forth. Last week
he recovered shortly afterwards -- in a matter of minutes. This time,
after 20-30 minutes, he began to drool a clear but mucousy substance
and soon after had rough/congested breathing. I was pretty sure I was
losing him. I rubbed a little honey on his gums. Now, hindsight, I wish
I'd gotten liquid into him. He didn't seem particularly dehydrated, but
any indication at all should have propelled me.

Those kinds of thoughts can kill you.

I called Dr Dawit, but he couldn't come or meet me at his clinic --
there was a fire last night at a government (Ethiopian gov't, for those
of you who don 't know where I live) horse barn last night. Several
horses were killed, and he was treating surviving burned horses.

At first Rico kept his eyes closed, but then he opened them and for the
last hour or more seemed fully conscious -- though of course I don't
really know. In a couple of hours he was gone. At the end, he lifted
his head up and then never took another breath. I had just lifted the
flap of bedding that was near his face to take a closer look at him
and at first thought Oh, is he recovering after all? I'd had him on my
chest or lap since just after the fit began.

I am so very sad. He was such a funny and dear person-ality. He changed
over the years -- for example, getting more mellow and cuddlesome, but
was always still the same spunky and interesting guy. He was one of my
two first ferrets. The other, dear, dear dear Robert, died a couple of
years ago in a sort of epidemic we had here that took four ferrets.

Rico had a great day yesterday, and that gives me pleasure and solace.
He happily scuttled around in and out of things, including going
quickly up the walking tunnel that takes them from the outdoor pen, up
the outside of the house, to my balcony on the second floor. He played
a little with the other ferrets and the cats (the cats had to beware,
since Rico was a nipper, especially of cats).

At the end of the day, he made an extensive tour of the downstairs
hallway and the ferret/computer room, ending up nestling into the dogs'
bedding. Since that didn't seem like a good bed place for him, despite
how well the dogs knew him, I put him into the condominium with the
other ferrets.

He was fine in the morning and also when Sisay put him in the outdoor
pen along with the others, but he didn't come upstairs with the others.
That wasn't too unusual, but when Sisay went to get him, mid AM, for
his special warm soup, he was having his fit and then I took him and
put him inside my bathrobe for a while near my heart, hoping he would
recover as before. But this time he did not.

I wonder what was wrong with Rico. Whatever it was, he and we fought
it successfully for a very long time. I'm hoping Dr Dawit will be able
to tell from the necroscopy.

I'm also hoping to arrange some ferret-related experience for him (or
Dr Daniel, another vet here) in the US. The last time I tried, money
problems arose, but this time before I start trying to make
arrangements, I will be sure there is money set aside just for the
purpose.

- - - -
It's been an hour or so since I wrote that, and the reality of losing
Ricois breaking in pretty hard. He was so dear, such a darling. What a
delight it was to see him going about his business.