From:
"Meg Carpenter, Chaotic Ferrets" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Jul 1998 01:43:24 EDT
>... I agree with all the reasons for using Ket mentioned earlier -
>drug choices are always selected based on the indiviual patient.  BUT
>another reason why many vets are getting away from using mask induced
>anesthesia is the risk of exposure to the techs and staff to the drug.
>OSHA and all. ...
>Benjamin A. Otten, DVM

Dr. Otten has a point.  Not long ago, during an emergency procedure, I
helped by holding the mask administering Isofurane to my ferret and watching
the monitors.  My head was bent down as I spoke softly in his ear (not the
vet, the ferret) and after a few miniutes, I was quite light headed.
"Whew", I commented, "pretty strong stuff".  My vet commented that it can
get to you if you don't watch it.  So, I can well imagine during a morning
or so of surgery, the fumes could pose a possible problem.

The other night, I watched a program on the Discover channel and Ketamine
came up as an anesthesia that was administered to soldiers during the Viet
Nam war; and of the many reports of hallucinogenic affects - like an LSD
reaction which many perceived as a "near death experience".  Brain scans
were shown that pointed out that ketamine might act on the brain like those
who experience a near death and report their experiences.....looking for a
chemical or hormone like link to protect the brain.  So, I went out on the
net and searched for articles on Ketamine.

There are about 900 or so.  I just focused in on use in ferrets and cats and
on neurological effects on the human brain.  Surprise - there were studies
of ketamine and the hallucinogenic effects which were likened to LSD.  Some
of you might be interested to go and read some of these articles.  Wonder
if our ferrets have "out of body experiences" when given this anesthetic.

Bottom line - my personal, non vet, opinion is that Isoflurane is a safe
anesthetic and I prefer it for my ferrets.  However - I have lost a ferret
to anaphylaxsis to Isoflurane and a ferret to Ketamine.  So, any anesthesia
is never totally safe.  There is always a risk when a ferret or other pet
is under anesthesia.

Another consideration when your ferret is facing surgery is, no matter what
you have read here pro or con, you would be well advised to go with the
anesthesia that your Vet is most experienced in using, and that is because
he will also be very experienced in managing any potential problems.

Cheers, Meg