From:
Judith Emery <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jun 1996 15:07:15 -0400
I just wanted to write a note to the list about my last message and my
response to someone who was, shall we say, slightly rude about Chloe.  I
think the response may have been perceived as over-reacting and not becoming
of a ferret owner.

I have generally found people to be very responsive to Chloe and have
considered writing a pamphlet about ferrets to hand out when we're out.  I
love showing her to people and educating them about ferrets (especially
kids).  Much of the problem with ferrets in the past, from what I can see,
has been due to ignorance on the part of individuals.  (My future
mother-in-law, who hates Chloe, came up with a great one about ferrets
eating small children.  Apparently it was on some television show.  I don't
know, I don't have a T.V.) Even the recent tragedy in New Jersey could be
partly attributed to ignorance i.e. misinformed people + d efenseless
animals = tragedy.

The other part of the problem in the New Jersey situation, as well as in my
own situation, is the lack of respect which is paid by some people to other
living things.  The comment in question was made after several minutes of
discourse in which the woman insulted me and, even worse, insulted Chloe.
(Chloe, all 2 pounds of her, was just walking along, minding her own
business).

I should also add that Chloe has been abused.  To this day, she gets nervous
around strange men.  As far as I'm concerned, she deserves to be treated
with a little kindness.

On a lighter note, I think I saw something a while back about ferrets and
feminine hygiene products.  We had friends over one night.  Just as we sat
down to have a nice chat in the living room, guess who runs by with
*something* hanging out her mouth (she'd been digging in my knapsack), which
she proceeded to wrestle with vigourously in front of our guests.

Ah!  The joys of parenthood.

Cheers,
Judith