From:
Sherry Cox <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Nov 1998 22:43:28 -0500
Hello, and dooks to humans and ferrets that own them It's been awhile since
I've posted.  It's been very hard for me to deal with the loss of Quinn, so
I was quiet for awhile.

Well, Dessie, our little 15 week old guy and Chumba, our retiring breeder
are doing pretty great.  Of course, I'm sure some day Chumba is going to
finally womp on Dessie to let him know she's really not his chew toy and
riding ferret ;).  But they love each other, and I think they love us (does
toe biting count as affection??).

In our never-ending challenge of finding a better way to clean the cage
easier, we've made some changes.  Dessie is horrible about hiting the
litter box, so I had to drag the base out every 3-5 days to scrub it down
and get all the poopies out of the outer track and the wires.  We have a
Mid-west play-pen, the 3 story type, and we bought some vinyl flooring at
the hardware store, and cute a piece large enough to cover the bottom.
Then I placed 2 litter boxes in corners, food in anther corner, and the
water bottle and the bottom ramp take up the 4th corner.  Well, Dessie has
decided that a corner isn't necessary, when compared to using a litter box
:/.  So, he's now pooping in front of the door and under the ramp.  I'm
about out of ideas.....The only way he will use a litter box is if I keep
him in our small travel cage, with very little room, but I hate to keep him
in it for extended times, and he misses his Chumba alot.  We have used clay
litter, but switched to 'Yesterday's News' (compressed recycled newspaper)
and his hit rate is even less lower :/.  Any suggestions of more ferret
appealing litter, or training methods???

Thanks in advance
Sherry
Dessie (I don't wanna use the litter box)
Chumba (Socks, socks, I must have more socks!)