From:
sukie crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Jul 2005 18:46:02 -0400
http://www.smartgroups.com/message/readmessage.cfm?
gid=1423922&messageid=14865&startid=14867

Yes, the spleen will enlarge with a chronic illness (such as adrenal
disease, insulinoma, ulcers, heart disease, etc).  In most cases the
spleen is compensating for the illness and is making red blood cells
(extramedullary hematopoiesis).  If the spleen becomes enlarged enough to
cause pain, limit activity level, or cause constipation then it is time
to remove the spleen.  Ferrets do just fine without a spleen, and they do
not have an increase in bacterial infections after removal like people
do.  If your ferret is stable enough for surgery, then it is time to
consider removing his spleen.

BTW they took my spleen out when I was 3 years old.

Hope that helps,
Jerry Murray, DVM

---
brought to the FML with author's permission by Sukie (not a vet)
Ferret Health List co-moderator
FHL Archives
http://fhl.sonic-weasel.org
International Ferret Congress