From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 May 1997 17:35:11 -0500
Linda,

Both your description and Meg's sound similar to what we went through.  It's
why we have begun ECE precautions (including having to pass up seeing some
kits today, in the recent past, and for a long time from now).  There is a
chance that it is a new variant of ECE, but milder than the old one.  No one
knows, and, believe me, some folks I'd trust with our own pathology and
treatments if Steve or I got sick have been asked.  Hanan thinks it's very
likely to be a new form of ECE, and it IS one typical pattern when a disease
has a harder time spreading than in the past that the strains which begin
surviving better are those which are milder but hang around for a long time
in infectious stages.  Chances are that eventually ECE is just going to be a
normal thing but we still would rather be careful so take precautions and no
one visits without understanding and also taking precautions.