From:
Camilla Englund <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jul 1999 00:38:30 PDT
Rachell Blessing wondered about hairballs.

>- Do ferrets shed twice a year "spring and fall"

Yes.

>- Do you just start giving them medicine when you notice the shedding?

Some give laxatives all year round, some only at the shedding period.  I
give small amounts every other week as a treat.  At shedding season I
give several times every week.

>- How long do you give them the meds?

As long as you get hairy every time you pick them up. :)  I.e. as long as
they shed.  That varies from a couple of weeks up to a month.

>- What kinds of meds work best?

I use regular kittymalt.  There are several similar products and I doubt
there are any major differences between them.  I've heard that olive oil
also has a laxative effect.

Millan
Ozzy (Mom, look, a hair fell off, give me some of that malty thing!)
Obelix (It's so gooey and hard to eat, I don't know if I like it - but
        give me more!)
Phoebe (Ok, I'm NOT going in the litterbox unless I get malty treats!  Just
watch me!)