From:
Sheena Staples <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Oct 1996 22:09:37 -0700
>From:    "Mrs. Duck" <[log in to unmask]>
>I read with horror about the Pit bull jumping the fence and attacking the
>ferret and owner.  The authorities would do nothing?  What about leash laws?

There are laws here that dictate that pit bulls must be muzzled when out of
doors, however the law does not extend to the extreme suburb where she
lives.  I'm unsure what the leash laws are out her way as well.  The
authorities included the police and the SPCA, neuther of whom were willing
to do anything.

>Has the owner taken the case to civil court?  Contacted the press?

No, she did none of these things, I suppose she was so disheartened by the
response she recived from the other authorities, or maybe she was too upset
by the loss of her fuzzy friend.  I only wish I had known about it at the
time it happened, as I would have tried to organize something in response,
but I didn't hear of it until much later.

Tracey Tunnison wrote:

>I have to disagree with this and know many breeders who would.  My hobs are
>lovable to people all year round, in season or not.  Also, a male in season
>will fight with another hob, but will just try to mount a jill, sprite or
>gib.  Of course if the other puts up a fight, they may get a little rough.

I find my hobs are so much larger and stronger than ayone else that they
really take rather large chunks out of their neutered playmates, so I would
rather not cage with them with anyone else, although I do let them out to
play everyday with their other buddies, and even each other.  If there are
no jills in the crowd, the hobs play fine with one another.  But if there
are jills out playing ...well, it ain't pretty :-)

>From:    Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Child proof locks

We had no luck with locks, so we use a different system.  We bought a
picture hanging kit, that came with these little screws that have a doughnut
shaped top (like the universal symbol for woman without the arms, or like
Homer Simpson the time his head was turned into a doughnut by the devil). We
screwed one into the side of the cupboard door, and one into the cupboard
itself, so that the two "Doughnuts" overlap, then we drop a screw through
them to keep them together.  It won't work if your cupboards close flush
into the cabinet though.  I find baby-locks leave too much leeway and my
jills can squeeze through.  I like Julianna's magent idea though, and we may
try that when we move.

>From:    William Killian - Zen and the Art of Ferrets
>We actually NEED to keep the younger folks interested in ferrets.  Many of
>the groups seem to have no members under 30.  That is a problem.  Young
>folks are drawn to ferrets.  GOOD.  Encourage responsible pet ownership.

I agree totally.  Our ferret-of-the-month last issue is owned by a young
boy, and he is one of the best ferret owners I've ever met, and his ferret
just adores him.  We just need the ability to seperate the truly interested
from the "fad" would-be owners.  We've been accused of being too tough with
our adoption policies to kids, but when we do adopt a ferret to a family for
a child's pet, we have always chosen very good homes and had no problems
with them.  I'd much rather be tough and find only great homes than be
overly lenient and adopt to mediocre or worse homes.

Kids are great because they are so much more willing to learn what we can
teach them.  They will become the ferret owners of the future, and it's very
satisfying to know that future owners will know a lot about their pets, and
know the right things.  Food for thought, huh?

Sheena - [log in to unmask]                           |To Err is Ferret  |
Director - Wherret Ferrets Halfway House & Ferretry  |To Forgive...well |
VP - Ferret Association of Greater Vancouver         |...That's Our Job!|
         We're on the Web! http://www2.portal.ca/~cmc~/ferrets/fagv/