From:
Pamela Greene <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Sat, 12 Feb 1994 18:26:58 -0500
FERRET FAQ FOR NEW AND PROSPECTIVE OWNERS
Compiled and edited by Pamela Greene ([log in to unmask])
(version 1.1, 1/31/94)

This FAQ is being distributed to the FML in about 20 pieces in order to
encourage your comments and suggestions.  I'd also be happy to send you the
whole file; it's roughly 75kB, but I can split it into smaller segments if
your mailer has problems with large messages.

*** PART 12 of LOTS ***

-  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -

4. *** Basic ferret care and training ***

4.1> How can I best ferretproof my home?

[begin PG]
Ferretproofing a home basically involves blocking off all the holes
around your baseboards, removing anything spongy from reach, moving
fragile items out of the way, and making sure your closets and
cabinets close securely.  Ferrets love to worm their way into any
little hole (as small as 2 X 2 inches, or smaller for kits and some
adults), which can be very bad if the hole in question is under a
refrigerator, into a wall, or outside.  Crawl around on your stomach
to look for holes near the floor, especially in the kitchen and
laundry area.  Even holes inside cabinets (which are particularly
common in apartments, where plumbers are often rather sloppy) should
be blocked, just in case.  Also watch out for heaters or furnace
ducts.  You can block openings with wood or wire mesh, and at least
one Ferret Mailing List recipient had good luck with aluminum foil,
since most ferrets don't like to chew it.

Many ferrets are good climbers and jumpers.  They can get onto a sofa,
into a trash can, onto the second shelf of a set of bookcases (but not
generally the third), into a bathtub, into the opening on the back of
a stereo speaker, or over the two-foot gate you thought would keep
them in the spare room (a three-foot barrier will probably do the
job).  They can also open cabinets, unzip backpacks, and climb into
some drawers from underneath.

Apart from obvious dangers such as electrical cords (which ferrets
don't, generally, like to chew) and bottles of household cleaners and
chemicals (which they do like to drink), be particularly careful with
sponges, erasers, shoe insoles, Silly Putty, foam rubber (even inside
a cushion or mattress), rubber door stoppers, and anything else spongy
or springy.  Ferrets love to chew on that kind of thing, and swallowed
bits can cause intestinal blockages.  (See question 7.2 for symptoms.)
Also be aware that ferrets like to dig in and possibly chew on
houseplants, and some common ones are quite poisonous.

Finally, once your home is done, bear in mind that your couch cushions
and throw rugs may be hiding napping ferrets.  Look before you sit!

[begin RN]
I think the best ferret-proofing tips I've ever gotten are:
- get rocks to cover up the base of your potted plants -- you can
still water them, as water will go between the rocks, but it prevents
ferrets digging.
- if your ferret is really clawing at carpet near a door, get a strip
of plastic carpet-protector (with the little spiky things on the
bottom)
- don't forget to block off the space underneath cabinets (by the toe
kick).  Ferrets love to get underneath there, and you don't always
know what rodent poisons previous owners may have put back there...
and poison for mice and rats is generally not healthy for ferrets,
either!

[begin LM]
I think [digging at the carpet] is only a problem if a ferret owner
has carpeting under doors and if those doors are closed to keep the
ferrets in a defined area. [...] I never had the problem when my
ferrets had the run of the place.  [Unfortunately, closet doors can
also be a problem, but carpet runner works pretty well under them.]