From:
Erica Bowles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 May 2001 13:15:45 EDT
Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in here...
I support ADV testing especially at shows.  The test would certainly
lessen the risks involved with exposing your ferrets to others whose
health status is unknown.  I do not take my ferret to shows for a number
of reasons ( mostly because there arent any shows nearby and because I am
afraid he would get sick).  But I have shown horses and every show requires
a negative coggin's test before you are allowed on the showgrounds.  Even
podunk local shows require a neg. coggin's test and no the test isn't 100%
accurate but it lessens the risk that disease would be spread.  I think the
test has to have been done within the last year but because the disease is
transmitted through mosquitoes it would probably be prudent to test more
often.

Anyway my point is that it is our obligation to keep our ferrets safe and I
personally would not forgive myself if I allowed my ferret to contract or
spread a disease because I refused to pay a paltry sum for a simple test.

But thats just me ...
Erica