From:
Dana Goessl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Dec 2000 18:45:34 -0500
Hi, I am new to the FML and this is my first posting.

It has been a long day.  Princess, a shelter ferret that I rescued last
year, died today.  Hers is not a pretty story.  The people that had her
dumped her at our local pet store.  The store owner called me and I came
and got her.  She was in horrible condition.  Obvious skin cancer and later
we found insulonoma.  She had not been fed or watered the way that she
should have.  No food dish, no water bottle, or litter box.  Just a cage
and a sweatshirt and a black eyed white ferret with no name.  I named her
princess.  After 2 weeks she was picking up weight and doing so much
better.  Most of her problems were only to be helped by medication.  That
was fine.  I wanted her to have the best few months that she had left.
Well, today in my arms she left for rainbow bridge.

As she was breathing her last breaths she was looking at me with those big
black eyes and I knew that she knew that I was there.  She wasn't alone.
My tears washed over her face and I felt totally helpless to help her
anymore.  Everything was done that could be done.  But now she is feeling
no more pain, and she can now do her happy war dancing, and dooking again.
She was never in a condition to do that while she was with me.  Now she is.

It now angers me that owners of these wonderful animals will just dump them
and leave them to their fate.  I have heard so many different excuses that
some I just don't believe.  But I am thankful that I can rescue them and
keep them when they aren't adoptable and put those that are in loving
hands.  The work of shelter workers is never ending and sometimes ,like
today, heartbreaking.

Thanks for listening, sincerely Dana from central new york.