From:
Don Ruetten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jun 1999 17:17:53 -0400
Hi List,

First I'd like to thank all who responded to my post on the difference in
frequency of reactions to vaccinations, in relation to the site the vaccine
is injected.  It was very helpful.

Now I'm really in a dilemma about this whole vaccine thing.  I'm hoping you
can help me out once again.

I took Slinky in for her distemper shot on Friday.  I took all the
information I had on vaccines and reactions to the vet.  She didn't have a
problem giving the vaccine in the rump.  So Slinky had her shot.  We waited
at the vets for about 40 minutes to make sure things were fine.  On the way
home Slinky started violently vomiting, so back to the vet we went.  She
was given some Benadryl.  We waited a bit, and she started to bob her head
around and drool.  The vet gave her some nutracal, figuring she might feel
better if she had something in her stomach.  Within a few seconds she
started vomiting again.  She recieved a bit more Benadryl and something to
settle her stomach.  After waiting for another half an hour she was sleepy
but otherwise okay.  I fed her chicken baby food the rest of Friday and
Saturday at which time she started to eat her dry food again.

Now this is my dilemma!  I lost my ferret Bambi suddenly, after a rabies
vaccine, and my other ferret Frisky (now at rainbow bridge) also had a
reaction to Fervac.  The reactions Slinky and Frisky had were not life
threatening but they could have been.  Slinky is now almost 7 years old
and I'm concerned about these vaccines to the point that I'm considering
not vaccinating her anymore.  On the other hand, I don't want her to come
down with distemper.

Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated.

Another thing, I posted a question about the difference in the frequency of
reactions if given in the neck or rump area.  The vet gave the vaccine in
the rump area but it was under the skin, not the muscle.  Does it matter?

Would love to hear from the vets out there regarding this issue.

Thanks Again

Cathy

Cathy and Don Ruetten
http://home.golden.net/~ruetten/