From:
Gary Holowicki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Oct 1995 23:46:20 -0800
        To MR ANG DONG;

    I would have to say that the stress from losing a sister ferret would be
far worse than moving.  I've car traveled 7 hrs.  interstate with a ferret
and they love the adventure.  I've moved into a motor home for 10 months and
traveled widely, and they love exploring, going to the store & riding around
in the shopping cart.  My only advice would be keep her in the car with you
during the move, if possible have someone (passenger) take them out & hold
them periodically during the travel, and look on it as an adventure.  These
guys by nature are explorers, not like some of us humans that like to be a
couch potato.

    I think the main thing to focus on is not leaving her alone in a travel
cage where he would feel isolated not only from his familiar surroundings,
but more importantly, you yourself.  Many restaurants would be accomidating
if she is kept in the carrier while you dine.  If this is not allowed, go to
a motel that has a restaurant and I found the front desk of a small motel
was accomidating to having the carrier with them while I dined.  This way
she would see that she's not alone (like in the car where it could be too
cold / hot as well as alone).  After I ate they asked to see what they were
guarding, and it was my Timmy & Tina when they were only 8 weeks old, very
adorable and immediately into their pencil cup, etc.

    They seem to take travel and moving much better than a cat, in my
limited experience.  With proper precautions it might be a positive
adventure for her, & maby even take her mind off the loss of her sister that
you mentioned.

        Best wishes, Gary

Violence is not strength,  Compassion is not weakness.    From Camelot.