From:
Millie Sanders <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Aug 2013 17:02:59 -0500
For about 12 years I have walked 2 city animal shelters twice a week to
take pictures of all their animals and put them on a website we have
just for rescue groups, over 500 listed.

I ran across a Dachshund I think it was the first time with this jagged
scar down the middle of its back and I thought "UnHun, a dog that digs
under a fence to get out, scraped by cyclone fencing" The next one was
a Doberman or a Rottweiler, and I was stumped but related it to the
same thing. The third dog, I don't remember what kind, if big or small
but that was when I started researching and found it was Hartz Flea
treatment, it scared a lot of animals (in dogs, they recommend you
trail it down the whole back). I couldn't believe this product is still
on the market with all the complaints............I never ever tried it
on the ferrets, well never on other animals either. Well aware of what
damage it could do and don't want that happening to my pets. Now I do
use the large dog vial of Frontline, putting 3 to 4 drops on the back
of the ferrets necks (with this many ferrets, we'd go broke and not
have money for regular vet care if we used the cat doses). I have never
had a reaction to it or a problem and we get ferrets in here well
infested with fleas, those from animal control, those kept in yards
(YES IN TEXAS). Recently had 2 stories just the same - one in Houston,
one in Austin they had a baby so they put the ferrets outside, put cold
water bottles with them - one she just had the baby (I wanted to ask
What, you don't have enough rooms in your house to put the ferrets,
the baby takes up the whole house?) and the other had them their whole
outside, winter and summer. Thankfully Rick and Candy of San Antonio
were able to take those two in. We were trying but couldn't get the
transportation to get them here. I got off course, but this is an
additional warning on that product, it also harms other animals and
certainly not for use on ferrets.

Millie Sanders, Director for the
Texas Ferret Lovers Rescue
with connected hospice and sanctuaries