From:
Catherine Shaffer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Oct 1996 09:15:51 -0500
Could anyone mail me the specifics on the upcoming ferret show in Lansing?

On age-descrimination: Yes, people tend to condescend to those younger than
themselves.  Then again, a lot of people condescend to the elderly.  On the
other hand, there's a lot of people out there who will assume you are
irresponsible no matter how old you--it makes them feel more important.  I
think a ferret is a wonderful first pet and I think having pets is a great
experience for people of every age.  Just please don't write in here and
tell us that your parents didn't want you to get a ferret, but you bought
one anyway, and now what should you do?  Anyway, I'm 24 and I'm actually
looking forward to being 30+ so I don't have to watch people roll their eyes
at me because I'm a "kid." I just bought a house and you wouldn't BELIEVE
how condescending the mortgage people were.  No, it's really our own money.
Yes, we got it by putting it in the bank every month instead of spending it
on a fancy car.  No, no one gave it to us.  Yes, we are very good savers.
Blah blah blah...

Well, I digress.  If anyone gives you trouble because you are "too young" to
have a ferret (or car, or house, or child...), just smile at him and realize
he is telling you that at the same age, he was an irresponsible jerk.  :)

-Catherine Shaffer