From:
Russell Prater <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Feb 2002 11:56:09 -0600
>From:    Crystal Ferraro <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Chipped tooth
>
>My four-month-old Frodo chipped a tooth tonight -- his fang, to be exact.
>He threw himself on to the side of the bed, slipped and hit his mouth on
>the metal bed frame.  I picked him up, he seemed a little shaken but
>otherwise fine.  The tooth no longer hangs over his bottom lip and there
>is a tiny red dot on his lip, as if he cut himself.  He didn't seem at all
>bothered by it as we scruffed him and examined his teeth, fingers in mouth
>and all.  But, I am concerned that he will scratch himself (or his buddies
>while playing) since the edge is rough.  Any suggestions?

A chipped tooth is a rather common occurence with ferrets and is not
usually an emergency situation.  See your vet when you can.  If not too
much of the tooth was broken off, nothing will need to be done to save it.
However, if it is rough and scratching the lip, your vet can smooth the
end off so that doesn't happen.  Only in cases where the pulp is exposed
is dentistry required.

--
Russ, Booger, Bonnie & Clyde

URA Redneck if your wife rides in the back so the dog wont get sick.