From:
"J Gordon Bengtson, CI-ASMEL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Oct 2008 09:51:05 -0400
I had to redesign the sliding plywood retainer and escape block at the
sliding glass door going to the back room to keep Pester there where
she was able to figure out how to defeat everything so far. The new
design is solid and parts are bolted to the glass door frame leaving
no possibility for Pester to force herself thru her forced crack.

So far this has worked! I mis-spelled a word in yesterday's post, the
2X4 was NOW bolted to the frame. And that did prevent Pester from
pushing it up or sliding it to one side. The 'Z' bracket kept the top
from being forced back so she could squeeze past and get out and the
vertical stand circuit board screwed to the floor has kept the bottom
from being moved out likewise.

Yesterday during the test I heard all kinds of activity where Pester
was trying all her best to compromise the new design. I heard ferret
saws, ferret power tools, ferret cuss words and all kinds of things
but Pester remained in the back room all day. Good!

It seems that so far I have met with success. But as stated, if a
ferret wants something, for sure it will figure out a way to get it!
I expect to find a tunnel, a fully lit, padded, micro chip controlled
escape route by tomorrow. Sigh.

Yet all this is a great lesson to all ferret owners. When you think you
have your house ferret proofed, think again. Because THEY are thinking
too! And the best you have done is just not good enough, ever. Keep an
eye on your ferret proof designs to see how they will, and they will
be, compromised.

Gordon, Peekaboo and Pester

Rev. J Gordon Bengtson
Aarrow-Ranch Aviation