From:
Rochelle Newman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jun 1997 13:15:55 -0400
Alphachi wrote, with regards to tattoos.
>This is the ID MF chose, it is THEIR responsibility to insure consumers by
>responsibly policing the market.

NO!  This is NOT MF's identification policy - they simply use the tattoos
internally for their own purpose (to mark which ferrets have already had
surgery).  They never intended for that to be used as a means of
identification.  According to MF, identification is SOLELY by the "MF"
pamphlet that comes with the ferret.  The use of the tattoos as
identification is OUR choice - shelters started using the tattoo as ID
because they rarely got paperwork when people dropped off ferrets (and never
got it with ferrets found abandoned).  The tattoos are useful to people
involved in rescue: they're a good clue that the ferret is neutered, since
MOST ferrets with tattoos are MF.  But its not an absolute, and its our
decision to use it for ID anyway.  MF has stated repeatedly that the tattoos
are for internal (i.e., in the ranch) identifcation, only, NOT for use as a
way of identifying a ferret as theirs.  As such, they have never attempted
to copyright the design or prevent other people from using it.  If we choose
to use it as a means of identification, thats our business.  But we have to
accept the fact that there ARE no copyrights on the tattoos, and anyone else
COULD come and use the same sign.  Does it happen that frequently?  No,
probably not.  Which is why its a good "clue" that a ferret is from MF.  I
wish it *were* 100% reliable - but its not.  The paperwork that comes with a
ferret when you buy it at a pet store SHOULD be - if you're going to fault
MF for not "policing" adequately, at least fault them for the policing
they're actually responsible for.

>Let me share an observation of a rescue shelter:
>OF THE APPROX. 150 FERRETS, 1/3 had adrenal disorders.  Of the 150 ferrets,
>all with the adrenal disorders were identified as MF ferrets.  In fact, most
>of the remaining were MF except for a few European, none of these had
>adrenal disorders.

If 98% of the ferrets are MF, and 100% of the adrenal cases were MF, this is
hardly evidence of anything whatsoever.  Except that ferrets get adrenal
disease, which we already knew.  This isn't defending MF - its just logic.
Its like those questions you had in elementary statistics: if you have a box
containing 147 red balls, and 3 blue balls, and you pick out 50 of them,
whats the likelihood that all 50 would be red???  If you're at all shocked
that all 50 with adrenal disease were MF, then I heartily suggest you
*don't* take up gambling.  (Unless of course you'd like to make a bet with
me?  I could use the money!  <grin>)

-rochelle