From:
Date:
Fri, 10 Sep 1999 19:28:40 -0400
I thought I should let all of Harley's "foster" parents know what's going
on with him.

He's not so well again.  He's still the same "bug" as always, but the
infection he has is now effecting his good eye.  Late last night Paige had
to rush him to High Park Animal Hospital.  His good eye was crusted shut
with a green pus and the corner of his eye was swollen.

The Dr. there put him under and squeezed out a large amount of slimy green
material from the corner of his good eye.

He woke up after surgery in Paige's arms and wanted to play & dance so bad.
Paige let him run in one of the exam rooms and Harley kicked up a storm <g>

We are going to try new antibiotics on him via IM.  Thank the gods for Amy
(my roommate) who is a vet tech as I don't think I could go into Harley
that way.  She's been a great help with his care and I think she loves him
*almost* as much as I do.

Our next step with Harley is to have a board certified surgeon open his eye
socket (from the missing eye) and remove some of the decomposing bone to
get right into his sinus cavity and clean out all the junk collecting in
there.  We plan to do this after our celebrity auction in October.

I had a reporter call me the other day about the auction.  She wants to
do a story about it and Harley.  She asked me why we continue to fight for
his life and put him through all the surgery, antibiotics and stress.  I
answered it in a way that anyone who's ever met Harley would agree.

I told her that Harley has the strongest will to live and to succeed and
the most mind power to overcome this dreadful infection he's been fighting
for now over 2 years.  I told her that I listen to my animals and that when
Harley's ready to give up, I will let him go.  BUT, for as long as Harley
is ready to fight, I will be along side him allowing him to fight as much
as he wants.  he is truly an inspiration to me and when I look at him every
day, I realize what a special little boy he truly is.

Blessings,
Randy

The Ferret Aid Society "For the love of our fuzzy friends"
http://www.ferretaid.org

http://www.igive.com/html/ssi.cfm?cid=1383&mid=43897
Use your mouse to raise funds for the shelter by clicking here.