From:
Debra Thomason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Apr 1996 07:09:00 CDT
Greetings--
After the plug from David Finster (thanks, David!) I do feel compelled to
say that I am simply representing the FLC in the campaign to get the Health
Department to require rabies vaccination in ferrets and then recognize it
with a quarantine period for vaccinated ferrets alleged to have bitten,
scratched, etc.  The person who provided me the information to get me
started and who has put out a tremendous effort to get ferret owners
recognized by the Board of Health is Rick White of San Antonio and SAFE (San
Antonio Area Ferret Enthusiasts).  Rick is likely not going to be able to
attend the Board meeting in Austin next week, and I'm trying to find a
person or two to accompany me so that I don't stand alone.  At a previous
meeting which both Rick and I attended, the Board members seemed very
impressed by the idea that ferret owners were scattered across the state and
that there were multiple clubs.  At that meeting the Department of Health
introduced some proposed changes to their rules and 3 or 4 of us ferret
people spoke to the group.  They were really far more reponsive than we had
anticipated, so we are hopeful that we will make progress, but I suspect the
quarantine period may be a battle.  Also, it is at this meeting that the
Board is supposed to vote on the actual language to be incorporated into the
final rules, so things could get far more involved.  I am somewhat nervous.
Prayers and good thoughts appreciated!

Someone asked about how to protect their ferts' feet from the wire floors in
their cage.  We use cheap vinyl flooring bought in a big sheet from a home
improvement store.  We cut pieces to fit the cage floors and leave the ramps
bare.  No, the vinyl is not anchored, but we don't have a huge problem with
them pulling it up either.  It is easy to clean, removable, and cheap to
replace should it begin to curl too much or should the backing get soiled.
The first batch lasted about 18 months to 2 years.  Just a thought....

          Debra in Ft.Worth