From:
"Shelly C. Ellis-Blackwell" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Oct 1996 11:56:14 -0500
Hi Folks-
Wanted to add to the recent discussion on toxo.  Remember that toxo can be
spread in the litterbox, so if you have cats that go outside and sometimes
share a litterbox with the ferrets the ferrets can pick it up even if they
don't go outside.  We have 3 cats and 3 ferrets and sometimes the ferrets
will use the cats litterbox, and occasionally a cat will sneak in the ferret
cage (big cage) and use their box when they don't like the look of their
own.  And one of our cats is a hunter - I've seen her with mice which are
the toxo carriers.

If you are pregnant and no one else is available to clean the litterboxes or
outlying poops there are some precautions you can take.  Wear disposable
gloves like you see on healthcare workers (you can get them at the
drugstore), and wear a surgical mask (a dust mask might work) to keep you
from inhaling the dust from the litter.  Also wash up well afterwards.  I
would start having someone else do the boxes, or start using these
precautions when trying to get pregnant instead of waiting till you are
pregnant.  Remember it is preferrable to have someone else do this chore
rather than relying on precautions.

From my understanding if the boxes are scooped or cleaned daily this greatly
reduces the risk of toxo as this will limit growth time.

Shelly
Jake, Buck, & Sam (the boy ferrets)
Sydney, Cecil, & Pigeon (the girl cats)