From:
Diane Vitro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Jun 1999 00:28:49 -0400
I believe that I recently read in the FML that veterinary costs in the
South are lower than in the rest of the country.  I really find this hard
to believe, especially after today.  I'm not complaining, I'm just sitting
here with an itemized (and paid) invoice from today's vet visit.  His
office is in suburban Atlanta.

I took my much-adored business of 4 in for their annual physicals today.
The bottom-line cost was $473.10.

The break-down costs for EACH ferret was:

Ferret heartworm preventative  $13.50
Yearly physical exam         32.00
Ferret distemper booster     15.00
Rabies 1 year booster        15.50
Fecal flotation exam-yearly  16.25
Heartworm test (occult)      29.50
Prophylactic ear cleaning      .00

TOTAL    $121.75 (again this the cost per ferret)

I also purchased Frontline Topspot Feline-green for $27.50 and received a
preferred discount of $43.32, since my weasels see the doctor so often.
Without the discount the total would have been $514.50.  The free ear
cleaning was nice.

During the course of the exams, it was determined that Dole has a mass in
his abdomen, which will require exploratory surgery on Sunday.  Yes, our
vet works on Sunday, which is a blessing.  I have a lot of faith in this
veterinary practice, which is why I don't complain about the costs.  Dole
had a prolapsed rectum in February which got our attention late at night,
we rushed him to an emergency vet clinic where they performed surgery and
then we followed-up at our normal vet's office the following day.  That
illness, like today's vet visit, also cost approximately $500.

In March Mugsy began losing hair and weight like crazy and we took her
to the vet, who ran tests which were sent to numerous university vet
labs, including the U.  of Tenn.  adrenal panel.  The first round of tests
cost approximately $200.  While we were waiting for the results, I was
constantly feeding the Mugster my own version of duck soup, and she began
gaining weight and hair.  By the time the results came back, she seemed to
be back to normal.  The results showed negative on adrenal, but a high on
liver enzyme.  The vet suggested that we retest the liver enzyme.  This
time the results came back much lower, and the cost was much lower too.  I
think that this round cost slightly less than $40.

I have no idea what Dole's surgery is going to set me back.  Whatever it
is, I will cheerfully pay...but I still don't believe the nonsense I've
been reading about vet costs in the South being lower.

Everytime I get "baby ferret fever" my son reminds me that I shouldn't take
on more ferrets than I can afford to pay vet bills for, and sure enough, I
recover from the fever pretty quickly.  I think that 4 is my max.

I'll be praying for my Doley-Dole on Sunday (which by now is today).  If
you would like to see my babies, you can find them at:
http://members.aol.com/dvitro/mugsy2.htm

Diane