Date:
Thu, 6 Dec 2001 19:36:55 EST
Hi FMLers,

[log in to unmask] wrote:
>I was told that I was not able to be with her for the euthanization

Holly, I am so sorry about your little Dweezil.  I know how difficult it
is to make the decision and help them cross to the Bridge.  I have had to
do so twice this year, and I know how much it hurts to let them go.  Both
times, however, I held them, stroked them, and comforted them in their
final minutes.  The first time my vet gave the injection in another room,
then brought my little girl to me.  The second time, I distracted my
little boy with a bottle of ferretone while she gave him the injection in
his tummy.  He never even noticed the needle.  They both just got sleepy
and layed on my lap.  It was very peaceful.  I don't understand why a vet
would not permit you to be with your pet in her final moments.  I have
never heard of such a policy.  I would question them about it.

My husband and my mother don't know how I can do it.  I told them that I
loved these ferrets dearly, and I wanted to make sure they felt that love
even to their last breath.  I didn't want them to be afraid.  I wanted to
reassure them, tell them about the Bridge, and how much I loved them and
that I would miss them terribly.  It provided closure for me and they left
this world peacefully and in their mom's arms.  I wouldn't have it any
other way.

Fondly remembering Kelsey, Gidget and Teddy.....RIP

Dodie in NJ
Down to Four Funtastic Ferrets(Molly, Fozzie, Angel and BJ)