Date:
Mon, 16 Dec 2013 15:40:47 -0500
I think the big problem is that people selling the ferrets are not
emphasizing that they are NOT rodents and cannot be kept in cages all
the time, that they are more like cats & dogs. They should also be told
that ferrets are susceptible to some terrible illnesses that commonly
start as early as 3 years old.

I must admit I didn't do much research before I got my first ferret
other than watching the Pet Shop guy Marc Marrone and visiting a
friend's nephew who had 2 ferrets. One on of Marc's shows, he talked
about the diseases ferrets get and I decided I was going to get another
cat instead. Lo and behold, I got a tiny kit as a surprise birthday
present, even though the Petco clerk told my friend "a ferret is a
terrible birthday present to give someone." She recommended getting the
ferret food with all the fruit and raising juice in it, so that's what
I fed him. I didn't really do research about ferrets until after I got
Rocky, especially after joining this list, which was a big help. But I
didn't even know about FML until more than a year after I got him.

Nothing is going to change at the farms since they are making a lot of
money. As for stores like Petco, unless they are willing to pay people
a decent wage and educate them, nothing will change there.

It is true that it is not just ferrets who are dumped on shelters
daily; there are many cats, dogs and even other exotics. IMO most
people shouldn't have animals, who are treated as objects. Until
humans respect all forms of life equally, there will always be abuse.

Shron
Spooky & Xena
Missing Rocky, Minky & Klondike

"No one needs a mink coat except a mink."