From:
Carol J Owens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Jul 2007 14:50:57 -0700
I agree with all about the cages. I have finally replaced what I had
with Quality Cages. Those of you who were at the symposium SOS picnic
saw them at Dave and Chris Mathis' house. Then I found Chris helped
design them!

But back to the SPs. I think new owners buy them because they look
so impressively large. Then they don't put anything warm, fuzzy and
inviting in there and wonder why the ferret doesn't use the rest of the
cage. I don't like the small side doors that are right up to the frame.
They are very hard to pop open. And for the lack of doors in the front
or anywhere I got out a big side cutter and cut an opening for a new
door where I wanted it. Then cut a piece of cage wire an inch larger
in each direction and fasten it with J clips or C clips. Get some cage
edging to protect yourself from sharp edges. Everything should be
available from your local feed store or check out Klubertanz.com in
Wisconsin. Heck, you can build any cage you like for a reasonable cost.
I have used many J clips re-building (repairing) the black Ware cages
we get. The thin wire they use to fasten the corners seems to come
apart easily, so I just get out the tools and make them better than
new, including two push latches on each door so ferrets can't push
them open as they can and do with the spring latches.

For those that don't want to or can't revamp the cages, you can make
a high back litter pan that goes through the door by cutting down a
Sterilite storage container, 16 quart, number 1644. I get them at Big
Lots for about $2, and some grocery stores also have them. I found the
best, fastest way to cut them is with a fine tooth blade in a saber or
jig saw. Leave the front lip about 1 1/2 inches high. Just cut a big
wide U shape out of one long side. Smooth with a knife. You can put
some duct tape on the edge and also some of the cage edging or even
a report binder edge, Just cut with a pruner to length. There will
be space between the pan end and the cage so fill it with a crumpled
blanket or as they do at the Oregon Ferret Shelter, put a small plastic
parts container there to fill the space.

I apologize for rambling about this but there are ways to work with
what we have and improve on it.

Carol Owens,
Ferret Friends, Inc.
Tucson AZ