From:
"Meg Carpenter, Chaotic Ferrets" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jul 1995 20:11:00 -0400
Hello FML:

Did we luck out today.  With temps in the D.C. metro area in high 90's and
humidity you can wade through, our air conditioning pooped out (whoops, I
mentioned poop).  I called for service stat.  Naturally, everybody's A.C. is
on the blink and I was told would be several days.  I told them I had ferrets
who could not take temps much over 80 and a jill ready to deliver.  Less than
5 minutes later I got a call that the service man was on his way.  Guess what
- He happens to be a ferret owner - l0 minutes later he was at my house - 30
minutes later we were in a.c. heaven.  Of course, all 15 of my babies had to
thank him personally.  In fact, he insisted on seeing them to make sure none
were suffering from heat stress.  What a guy.  My hero!

For Rochelle - I think you've been the gammit with Fez and the infection.
His lack of appetite concerns me.  Have your vet remove the encapsulate
infection immediately.  Even though it appears localized, it can and probably
is affecting him systemically.  Also, please get some blood work. Let us know
how he does.

For David - I give my ferrets a bit of nutrical everyday.  some get it
because of physical problems, so everyone thinks they should have it as well.
I call it "licky tongue" time, since they all try to get a taste at once.  I
am careful not to over do it, but since I have used it for a treat for about
l0 years........don't think it is a problem in moderation.

My only problem is that several of the ferrets steal the tubes of nutrical
and hide them.  The dummies - they think they are keeping it for themselves,
haven't figured out how to get that little top off yet.   However, I do have
two ferrets who can open most containers.

Thank you everyone who wrote to tell me you liked the flying ferret story.  I
will be writing more silly stories soon, I have a million of them.  A friend
named us  Chaotic Ferrets and I just found out recently that it was not
because of the chaos created by my ferrets, but because I was such a ditz.
For all who asked if you can re-print the story and others I write on line -
yes you can.  As long as you give credit and mention that I write for The
Independent Voice!.

For Chris - regarding sock stealing. Yes, everyone has the problem of odd
socks, whether or not they have ferrets to steal them.  Have you ever noticed
that you have a lot of coat hangers?  Hangers just seem to appear to clutter
up space.  I think that every other sock is the larval form of coat hangers.

For Chuck - regarding adrenal disease.  At the age of 6-1/2, if your ferret
has hair loss, his skin appears fragile, he is thin & somewhat weak in the
hind quarters, or staggers - most vets go ahead and do the surgery on
adrenals based on symptoms and because it is so common.  I will let the vets
handle info. further on this.  However, I have also seen hair loss on older
ferrets who did not have adrenal disease, but had or have other physical
problems, like history of other cancer, etc.  If he does have an adrenal
problem, the removal of the affected adrenal, usually the left, will help him
considerably.

Can't remember who commented on tail amputation due to cancer - but comment
of perhaps some interest.  Several years ago, I found a lump on the end the
tail on an older MF neutered hob.  The end of the tail was amputated and path
report was ----- primordial tissue tumor, indicative of prehensile tail.
Previously seen in 13 other ferrets.  Will try to remember to get the path
report and post it out.  Didn't know our ferrets once apparently had a hook
on the end of their tails, did you?

One more comment before I go - not about ECE, but color and consistency of
ferret's b.m.'s in general.  Did you ever think you would spend so much time
talking about and worrying about ferret's bowel movements -- and actually
find this topic interesting????

Best to all, Meg