From:
The Langdons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Sep 2000 10:57:53 +0100
Cost wasn't my motive when deciding how to get ferrets, In the UK I've
never seen ferrets in a pet shop and didn't know where to start in looking
for one.  Friends of ours met some people from the local rescue at a
festival.  They said that they tend to charge around #80 ($130ish) for
two (they won't let them go if they're going to be on their own).  When I
went to see them I fell in love with two albino brothers and was then
told 'They're free to a good home.' Aparently they have trouble re-homing
albinos as people want the more coloured ones.

My boys were free, but that doesn't mean they won't get the best I can find
for them.  I decided to be prepared so before I got them I made sure I had
everything they needed, found a ferret knowledgeable vet and that I saved
up around #500 ($800ish) incase they need medical treatment sooner than
expected.  I will continue to save for them when I can as I don't want to
have to worry about finance if (when) they need treatment.

I've also asked for a shed for my birthday so my boys can have a big ferret
house outside (It's normal for ferrets to live outside in the UK).  So any
day now they will have a 6'x4' shed with a 5' outside pen.  It's two weeks
today since I brought them home and already I can't imagine life without
them.

Obtaining a pet cheaply doesn't mean they won't be loved or cared for, in
my case it just means I now have an extra #80 to spend on them.

Jane