From:
Chris and Tara Palaski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Oct 2005 15:29:08 -0400
I have been struggling with writing this e-mail for weeks now and I hope
you all will bear with me as I muddle through what I need to say.  I
have had a rough year this year and have been feeling overwhelmed and
discouraged for the better part of it.  I have suffered some real hurts
with broken trust regarding the shelter.  I have been trying to get past
everything but the hurts just aren't healing and I have finding myself
becoming bitter and disillusioned.

I have decided that I need a sabbatical, a break in order to regroup and
become a better shelter director.  I am not enjoying it any more and that
is not a healthy place for me or the ferrets that are in my care.  I have
9 shelter kids in-house right now with a couple outside the shelter that
I am trying to help place.  One of the ferrets will be a permanent
shelter per the request of his surrendering family.  I want to place the
other 8 in forever homes as soon as possible.  These ferrets will not be
turned over to another shelter as all the shelters in Pa are currently
bursting at the seams and what these ferrets need is not to be a shelter
ferret but to be someone's cherished pet.  I am asking reasonable
adoption fees for these kids.  I need to re-organize, re-prioritize and
recover from the past year.  I do not want to stop sheltering.I have
loved what I have done for the past 8 years.  I want to go another 8 if
at all possible but I know I am on the edge of burn-out and will not make
it another 8 months if I don't do something drastic.  Right now the best
thing I can do is concentrate of improving the physical shelter, my
procedures, and the educational resources I can give to my community.  I
am not enjoying the time with the ferrets and I want to get them placed
before I become no better than the places they came from to get to the
shelter in the first place.  I am wracked with guilt over my lack of
interest in the shelter, the minimal time I can spend with my own furry
family and the emotional burden I have been carrying around for months.
It is just to heavy to carry.  I need to step back and do what I need to
for me so I can come back a better director and a better shelter mom.

If you think you can help me by taking any of these ferrets into your
heart and home *please* contact me off-list at [log in to unmask]
for more details.  A list of the available ferrets follows.  They will
be adopted into screened, approved homes only and will be shipped.  All
ferrets are spayed/neutered/descented, up to date on rabies and distemper
and tested negative for ADV.  Any known medical issues are corrected
prior to adoption.  All ages are estimates.

Ricky and Lucy-( dob 8/01) Ricky is a roan male who had adrenal surgery
approx 4 weeks ago.  Left adrenal was removed without complications and
everything else looked great.  He is beginning to grow back his fur.
Lucy is a chocolate mitt female with no known health issues.  Both
ferrets are playful and sweet.  They are scared of others and would do
best with their own play time/ only ferret household.

Modo- (dob 11/00) Sable male who is blind in one eye.  Sweet and playful.
Gets along well with others.

Runner ( 1/01) Very large pretty chocolate male.  Scheduled for adrenal
surgery for next week.  He has become very aggressive with other ferrets.
Hopefully he will be fine to join a ferret family once he has his surgery
as he has lived with up to 11 other ferrets in the past.  Has some
testing/biting issues with people.  Would need to go to a ferret-savvy
home preferably without children.

Boots and Bandit (4/03) Boots is a Champagne female and Bandit is a sable
female.  Both girls are very playful and get along with other ferrets.
They can get nippy so would be best in an adult ferret-savvy home.

Bandit- (9/00) sable male who loves people but is terrified of other
ferrets.  Bandit has been an only ferret all his life and prefers to stay
that way.  He would need his own housing and runtime.  Bandit loves to
follow you around and is as sweet as they come.

Unnamed Champagne roan male- (10/04) stray that was just turned into the
shelter.  He will be available in two weeks when his vet care and holding
time is complete.

Looking for placement:

Pair of 4-5 month old male ferrets.  Silver mitt and albino.  Can be
nippy and are still in the testing stage.  ADV results pending.  I don't
believe they are up to date on their vaccinations.  If interested I will
put you in touch with the placing party.

Thank you for considering these kids and understanding my need to step
back for a while.  I will continue to help the local community but will
be concentrating I what I need to do for myself at this time.  I will be
continuing fundraising efforts to pay down the balance of my shelter
bills and to have the account ready for when my doors reopen.

~Tara Palaski
PA Ferret Rescue Association
www.ferretrescue.com