From:
FerretMomJC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Oct 2008 10:09:57 -0700
If you have been following the status of or participating in
discussions/offers to help the Indiana group of 16, I am pasting
an update below. For those of you who had raised your hands to take
some of this group or help in any other way, please join continued
discussions on the FURR Yahoo Group - Ferrets United Rescue Resources,
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/furr/?yguid=80341579
This site is specifically for smaller scale rescues while NFR,
National Ferret Rescue is for the large scale rescues.

Here's where it stands today:

"Heartland Small Animal Rescue" (rabbits, guinea pigs & hamsters)
is the group who ended up taking the ferrets out of the home, has a
ferret-knowledgeable home to hold them at & care for them until Sunday
at which time they will transport to The Ferret Haven in Louisville.

Below is the description they've given of what they found. I was afraid
of this - she made a comment that they were in 2 cages with tunnels
connecting the two......I envisioned SuperPet cages.........not big
enough for 16 ferrets......then she said the owner said he puts them
all in a couple large carriers and takes their cages outside to "hose
them down"........that red flag feeling came up.

HERE'S WHAT THEY FOUND:

Our volunteers were very overwhelmed last night and weren't quite
prepared for what they found. The conditions of the home were
deplorable and the smell was nauseating. The ferrets were housed in two
cages that were connected with plastic tubing so the ferrets could go
between cages. Although the cages were large, they were way too small
for 16 ferrets. There were no litter boxes so the ferrets were doing
all their business on the bottoms of the cages and were then forced to
spend their time in hammocks and up high so they didn't walk through
the feces - YUCK! Each ferret was covered in what was described as
maple syrup. There are four ferrets with absolutely no hair on their
tails; they look like rat tails. I was told this was more than likely
caused by stress and other than no hair on their tails, they appear to
be healthy. There is one ferret with absolutely no hair what-so-ever
but she does not have the bulging belly you normally see with the
adrenals so not sure what her diagnosis is.

The four volunteers moved the ferrets out of the home as quickly as
they could and brought them to the home were they will be temporarily
fostered. Each ferret was given a bath and blow-dry and were placed
in a large room with litter boxes and bedding so they can now romp
and hopefully get the exercise they were so lacking. The pics and
cataloging will take place tonight and I will forward the info to
you as soon as possible.

********** I don't normally like to stress them out with a bath on day
one but I think they did the right thing here - we all know what that
"maple syrup" was!! I'm amazed they didn't report maggots. Little guys
likely have urine scalding on their abdominal skin, feet & legs.

Can't wait to get them here - they will see soft, fluffy bedding like
they've never imagined with plenty of room, food & toys. I think I'll
just give them the playrooms on Sunday before we settle them into
their Ferret Nation cages. No more cage full of poop, no more "maple
syrup"........plenty of love, kisses & cuddles.........and then, all
this hopefully followed by new loving forever homes!!

Jerri Carel
The Ferret Haven
Louisville, KY
www.theferrethaven.org