From:
"S.Hewett" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Apr 2006 22:16:29 +0800
Before I respond to any questions in the post from S.M. Owens.  there are
just a few things that I would like to make clear.

The reason that most people CHOOSE to change their ferrets' diet from
kibble to natural is because they appreciate that kibble IS damaging
their ferrets' health.  This is a FACT, not a theory.

I also prefer to look at an overall picture.  For instance, I know a
person who is very proud that ONE of her ferrets lived to a ripe old age
while on a diet of only kibble.  That person never mentions the ones in
her care that died of insulinoma, unknown causes, or how much was spent
on dental cleaning and/or extractions or how many died directly because
of poor mouth hygiene.  I deplore such types of non-information.

Natural feeding, is a comparatively new trend amongst a large number of
a kibble feeding population, and while the immediate improvements in the
ferrets' teeth and overall health are obvious, the long-term effects have
yet to be documented.

Shelter ferrets that refuse to be changed from one brand of kibble
to another is beyond the reach of my knowledge and a different topic
altogether Having said that, in my experience of taking in many rescued
ferrets over the years, I have NEVER had one decline a raw diet.

The reason that further tips on how to switch a ferret's diet are not
included in this post is to encourage the folk, who do want to make the
change, to join Natural Ferrets where progress (or non-progress) can be
monitored on a timely basis.  (The FML comes only once in each 24 hours)

And to answer the questions remaining:

Response to any difficulties described by the owner are appropriate to
the health and behavior of each ferret.

48 hours?  Has only been advised by one member on one occasion and that
advice was rightfully ignored.

Documentation on ferrets never suffering sickness or ulcers while
switching to a natural diet?  Is there documentation of all the ferrets
on earth that have been fed kibble and suffered from illness?  Sorry I
only have personal experience of over 100 ferrets switched from kibble
to natural and there has never been a problem.  Other FMLers may care to
add their experiences.

Ferret diet is a highly emotive subject as it is one of the key methods
of nurturing the ferrets in our care.  I appreciate that each ferret is a
much-loved individual and would hope that that love will want more ferret
folk to seek the best ways of caring for each ferret.  If you think that
kibble is good for your ferrets' health, fine.  If you think that caging
is best for your ferrets' health, fine.  As long as we all do the best
as we think fit, I'm sure we will all be able to get on amicably.

Shirley
Always for the Ferrets